Thursday, September 10, 2009

Up and Down


This image was taken minutes after yesterday's. I had done what I felt I needed to. I had looked up at the huge antennae, up at the sky they were attempting to penetrate and wondered many up thoughts. As I started back to the vehicle, I was given a not so gentle reminder about something...the other direction. I almost came a cropper when I stepped on the frost-covered railroad ties. Aside from being reminded of the health-related aspects of watching where one is going, it also struck me that perhaps these ties were making their presence known for another reason. I cannot remember when I first heard or thought of this but there is often a benefit in looking the other direction when all attention is focused in another. A brief scan at the least; one never knows what one might be missing. It is part of being more aware of one's surroundings.
Had I glanced down, when the obvious stars (again, pardon the pun) of the show commanded looking up, I might have had the opportunity to photograph an intricate and interesting pattern without a streaky footprint across it. After looking around I found this tie and the design it had as a result of the intense weathering. The frost gives it a strange, almost translucent quality. The juxtaposition of the ballast, tie and frost was also a cool twist on the rock, wood and water (albeit frozen) theme from what I usually think of when contemplating these three elements in a landscape image...I'm down with it.
Sorry ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment