Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Waiting for the Light


Funny, sometimes, those little co-inkydinks (“coincidences” for those that did not see the same television show I did years ago…too many years to remember what show). Fiat Lux, "Let there be light", is the motto of my alma mater, alluding, of course, to knowledge as light. The University of Lethbridge in southern Alberta was a wonderful liberal arts university in one of Canada’s bible belts. I say “was” because I haven’t been there recently and certainly not for long enough to discern whether or not, or how much, the social climates have changed in Lethbridge, southern Alberta and/or the University. I enjoyed my years at the U of L and what ever did cause me negative feelings had nothing to do with the University. The battle was on the inside. That, however, is another story. The coincidence, by the way, is that I had chosen last night to post this image today and today I received a letter from the Alumni Association. Basically, the coincidence added a paragraph to this post...

This and last night's image are part of a series I took in New York City in the spring of 2001 with the Nikon 990 I had at the time. The notion of an idea or "a-ha!" moment represented by a little (or big) light bulb suddenly turning on is pretty much universal in the developed world. This image of a (probably) stressed professional seeking enlightenment when her world seemed upside down spoke to me. There is the "punny" aspect of that and then once you have had a chuckle, a poignancy settles in...

The big move is done and we are now settling in trying to put things in what seems to be proper places, etc. Took the time this evening to stroll down to the dock and watch the sun set over the small lake we now live next to. As an ex-pat Canadian, I have to say...I like palm trees in the sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment