Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ante Meridiem/Post Meridiem


This is the only sundial I have seen of its kind...one side performs as the morning dial and at noon, the sun crosses over to the other (afternoon) side. It is on one of the buildings in the Burg Strechau in the province of Styria, Austria. On my way to Graz yesterday, I thought I would stop in to have a look around as I had driven past the castle several times before. Rather interesting: housed in one of the buildings is an automobile collection, featuring quite a number of Steyr vehicles; preserved in the residential building is a notable 14th century Protestant prayer hall...notable because it is one of the only in Austria, a dominantly Catholic country...but perhaps more about it later if the photos I took of the exquisite ceiling turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment