Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pegmatite Patterns


At the Oceanview Mine today. Haven't been underground for quite some time. I love it. Getting my fingers onto some rocks is a preferred way of connecting to the Earth, indeed the Universe.

I studied pegmatites for my Master's degree---one field in the Northwest Territories, in particular, but many others as background to that study. Having grown up with John Sinkankas' "Gems & Minerals And How to Find Them" I always wished I lived near these deposits...now I do...and work/play in them on occasion.

In this image are divergent crystals of schorl, a tourmaline group mineral. Also in the view are garnet crystals (almandine), spodumene alteration products (purple clays), and, of course, the quartz, feldspars and mica that make up the matrix.

Nature creates some cool things...

No comments:

Post a Comment