Thursday, October 29, 2009

Protestant Prayer Room Ceiling


At an internet cafe and they are closing the doors soon so keeping it short.
Two things:
One, this ceiling was painted in the 14th or 15th century (need to check my notes which aren't here) and these are apparently---so I am told by my guide---the original colors. The images have been restored in that dirt and a rusty layer have been peeled away (a small part of one corner of the ceiling has been left in the state the conservators found it to show the difference) but other than this cleaning process, the colors have not been enhanced. I am guessing lazurite (ultramarine) is the pigment for the blue as azurite (a copper carbonate) would have turned green (malachite, another copper carbonate that is more stable), much like it did in the Sistine Chapel.

Second, this image is a composite of eleven different shots I took laying down on the stone floor. It is a bit wobbly in parts but I am extrememly impressed with the power of Photoshop CS4. One benefit of stitching many images together is a larger overall image, thus in effect greater resolution because one can get in tighter to the subject and 'raster photograph' it.
I had to because I had no wide angle lens and could only get so far down on the floor...

No comments:

Post a Comment