Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Columbia River Wetlands


Today's image is as current as I have made so far...I took the photo today as my parents and I went for a bit of a walk.

The house I grew up in---or at least during my public school years---has a view over what we called the Wilmer Sloughs back then; these are part of what since have been made a protected wildlife management site and named the Columbia River Wetlands.

Many memories here: my brother and I, one frosty early May when he and I turned 11 and 12, respectively...or so...camped on one of the islands. We spent a chilly night in the tent and silently paddled around the sloughs during the next day...only to be interrupted by a Fish & Wildlife official, who arrived on his noisy air-prop boat (like the ones used in the Everglades) to inform us that we were disturbing the geese???. Our parents had watched events unfold---indeed our entire camping trip---through the telescope in the living room. Such adventures are not possible now...but it's all good. Hiking is still allowed, the birding is great; these, the longest continuous wetlands remaining in North America, are a real treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment