Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Time and time again...


Time and timepieces seem to be a popular them in my photos here...the former, at least, occupies much of my contemplative time---sorry, couldn't resist---but seriously, when not regarding the rapidity of its passing relative to the quantity of what I feel I want to have accomplished in that duration, I love to have my mind boggled by consequences of its infinite nature. What supposedly imperceptible processes are occurring as we speak, write or do anything that would become immediately apparent when the element of time is compressed? I remember when I first saw a short film in school that used time lapse photography to demonstrate the quotidian activities of flowers that one might ignore if one only watched them for a few minutes...as they opened and closed, or, as in the case of sunflowers, how they change orientation to follow the our great star's path across the sky. I was astounded.

This image features the distinctive clock tower that watches (no pun intended) over the city of Graz from the Schloßberg (Castle Mountain). It was recently reopened after being veiled in scaffolding and tarps for more than a year to allow much needed restoration work. I grew up with images of this edifice in and out of the house and on the occasion of a voyage here, I never fail to visit what has always been---and continues to be in the form of a painting in my own home now---such a familiar sight to me. And so, Tuesday night it was hot chocolate in the "Skybar"...and a few shots of the tower in its night-lit splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment